Functions of SASAR
SASAR must within its means and capabilities co-ordinate its measures to:
- Search for, assist and, where appropriate, effect a rescue operation for:
- A survivor of aircraft crashes or forced landings.
- The crew and passengers of vessels in distress.
- Survivors of maritime casualties within SASAR area of responsibility.
- Survivors of any military aircraft or vessels accidents or incidents if such aircraft or vessel is not engaged in an act of war.
- co-ordinate the evacuation of a seriously injured or ill person from a vessel at sea where the person's condition is such that he or she must obtain medical treatment sooner than that vessel would be able to get him or her to a suitable medical facility.